PDA

View Full Version : Skybox F3

visiondvd
07-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi all, looking to start this thread to encourage as much info as possible on this relatively new openbox.
I have one of these and am slightly impressed overall.
It is user friendly, quiet, seems fast enough, remote control a bit of a drag, but then thet all are.
This box is really easy to update firmware via usb.
The hd works well.
What i dont know yet is
Can it be used as a server as well as a client?
Cant seem to get it to record onto usb for some reason, although not bothered by that.
The wifi seems to be a touch difficult.
Have tried various up to date wifi dongles and although some show connected, they dont work particulary well.
havn't tried the "offical" wifi dongle.
Still not a tremedous lot of support yet for this box.

Overall
Considering the price (26 to 60) not a bad deal
Please continue this thread and maybe generate support for this small delight

PYO
07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Pretty nice box it is. Have it a month already.
I didn't need wifi, so this thing was not tested by me. Rest works fine.
There will be no any good support for it, unless someone will OEM it. Like Tiger.
There is a thread of available firmware updates on satlover:
_http://www.satlover.eu/forum/rest-of-hdtv-receivers/42369-skybox-f3-m3-update.html

I bought mine for $75. Where you saw it for 26?

mahrkpat
07-25-2012, 08:18 AM
I saw the F3 a little bit too late after I had already bought my S11, I liked the specs of this Openbox and think alot more people will be buying it.

Is it true that you can get a downloadable 7 day EPG for this Openbox?

PYO
07-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Not sure what do you mean by downloadable. It can show you EPG for 7 days if this info transferred from satellite with channel.
Didn't use PVR functions yet, but saw 5 day EPG on one channel.

ocram88
07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
What are the main differences between the skybox F3 and the skybox S12? Which one is better?

PYO
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I didn't read about S12, but that is what I have:

General Specifications:
Dual-Core CPU, 396 MHz MIPS Processor
Fully compliant MPEG-4 H.264/AVC Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile Level 4.1;
Fully compliant MPEG-2 MP-HL & MP-ML;
Fully compliant MPEG-1 Layer I & II & III, Dolby Digital Audio(AC3);
SCPC & MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellites;
multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC1.0/1.1/unicable/1.2/1.3(USALS) supported)
NIT search supported;
Support HDMI 1.3;
Support PVR(store in USB disk);
Multimedia files playback(by USB);
Support Electronic Program Guide(EPG) for 7 days;
Teletext and subtitle out through OSD;
Support multi-lingual DVB subtitle and teletext;
Automatic and manual channel scan options;
automatic service scan
channel-change time < 1 second
OSD in many languages and skin-support
Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD): English, French, Deutsch, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Greece, Portuguese, Finland, Holland, Turkish, Czech, selectable
LED Display
Multiple display mode: 1080p/1080i/720p/570p/576i/480p;
MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
Videotext Decoder
Analog audio output: stereo(L+R);
Digital audio output: S/PDIF by coaxial and optical;
S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
YCbCr available;
Screen format:auto, 4:3, and 16:9;
Upgrade software through USB2.0 port;
Powerful program management function, parent lock;
1x card slot
10 Mbit Ethernet Interface

ocram88
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Is very similar all's12. With the F3 can be recorded on a USB drive?

This Decoder can act as a server, or only as a client?

PYO
07-25-2012, 10:43 AM
It has 1 usb slot on front. Not sure if it is enough to power external hdd, but it can write to any storage connected.

No, it don't have server part in firmware. You can only use it as Cardreader by RS-232 port.

ocram88
07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
It has 1 usb slot on front. Not sure if it is enough to power external hdd, but it can write to any storage connected.

No, it don't have server part in firmware. You can only use it as Cardreader by RS-232 port.

Great! That program can be used to interface the serial port of the receiver with your computer?

PYO
07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Sure you can use this box like card reader, connect to PC and share you card by any card sharing server software.
The bad thing, that firmware is closed and there is nothing to manipulate it. There is no telnet or other services opened. Only one port is on for LAN tool to upgrade firmware and emu settings configuration.
Current firmware lack some things, so you can't use whole potential of box. For example I have DRE legal card, which is not providing Provider ID, so I can't use it in box. But other DRE cards (legal and clone), which do this works fine.

i.jaybay
07-27-2012, 09:14 PM
i am planning to buy one of this box, can anyone share if this box video quality is any good?

kupiterr
07-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Picture quality in SD is passable, but HD shines through crisp sharp picture.
Must add software moved forward a lot as things should with progressive product, much more user friendly, wi-fi worked first time.
One thing that bugs me........I wish they had the USB slot on rear as you cannot close front flap if using wi-fi but overall impressed.

Kup
:cool:

PYO
08-15-2012, 06:18 PM

Last firmware has the server with newcamd protocol.

simba92
08-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Thinking of getting this receiver for a member of my family, for the end user just using it to connect to a server and watch tv, it seems to be very similar to previous openboxes with the addition of wireless using a separately bought dongle.

Cheapest ive found is 40-45 delivered, if anyone has anything cheaper, or even a used openbox/skybox feel free to pm me :)

grousebeater
08-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi Guys
My Skybox F3 arrived yesterday quickly got it set up pic quality great in sd &hd ,my box had skybox wifi dongle included in price (usb with ariel ) ..Now the problem begins it reconises my network but times out without connecting,tried open wifi as well same result can anyone help with this please .. Then I can test it to its full potential with ..
Regards Grousebeater:)cls

mahrkpat
08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Guys
My Skybox F3 arrived yesterday quickly got it set up pic quality great in sd &hd ,my box had skybox wifi dongle included in price (usb with ariel ) ..Now the problem begins it reconises my network but times out without connecting,tried open wifi as well same result can anyone help with this please .. Then I can test it to its full potential with ..
Regards Grousebeater:)cls

I don't have a F3 but like all wifi you would have to enter the password/key of your router, if you can't do this directly on the F3 then connect the dongle to your pc and set it there for your dongle.

p.s. The password should be on your router.

If this is not your problem give more detail please.

grousebeater
08-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi
I have entered all the password for net work and all it does time out after much reading on here and other sites it seems to be a problem,, I have not seen a clear solution anywhere..My router is Dlink dir 615 Virmin provider any help would be much appreciated..
Regard Grousebeater:)

mahrkpat
08-26-2012, 11:21 AM
can you connect your computer to router using the wifi dongle? If yes what is the signal strength of wifi where you have your F3 box?

I have entered all the password for net work

You said all the password for network what do you mean?
On your router should be a label with network key printed that is what you need.

swingball
08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Had My Skybox F3 for a couple of days and considering I only found out about the whole Sat box thing this week, I've found it easier than i thought to set up and understand. I made a few mistakes but managed to get my self out of them except the original UK channel list that was on it when it came... The WIFI update via the LAN is ok and took some time to work out.

grousebeater
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
can you connect your computer to router using the wifi dongle? If yes what is the signal strength of wifi where you have your F3 box?

You said all the password for network what do you mean?
On your router should be a label with network key printed that is what you need.

Hi mahrkpat
My computer running win 7 and has a wifi built in and when I tried the dongle in it windows could't find drivers.. The strength of signal on skybox with wifi dongle85-90%.. My wifi network is set up on router and named and my own password put on it,this what I am using but will try the routers key I have that written down & see how I go.. thanks for help so far..
Regards grousebeater:)

Jay10
09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction for step by step setup of the skybox V3, e.g firmware upgrade, Cccam ect. As mine has been delivered today. Would be very much appreciated :)

Also can the Skybox V3 only use 1 C-line at a time?

mickaldinho
09-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Got this box a few days ago and I have been really impressed for the price only issue is WiFi is very dodgy but I use a powerline for a wired connection anyway.

bhjr
09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Hello good evening, I also have this receiver, but I have a problem I can not connect it wirelessly, gives connection error, already checked the pass and everything is ok, but he does not care. with open network already connects well, does not support WPA2?
Note: My router is a thomson

grousebeater
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi
I think most people have problems with the wifi connection the guy I bought mine off included the skybox dongle.. I could not get mine to connect (time out)
strong signal showing on box,the guy told me it only wpa2 only not a mix of the 2 ..
Regards
grousebeater

umyk1
10-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Cheapest ive found is 40-45 delivered, if anyone has anything cheaper, or even a used openbox/skybox feel free to pm me :)

Hi Simba,

can you tell me where you got this price from, minimum I have seen is about 55. I am planning to buy a few for my house, I have a TV in every room apart from kitchen! cheers dude

microchick
10-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Your best companion is ******. You can also chack prices on fleabay. There is a lot available with many different prices.

McrRed
10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction for step by step setup of the skybox V3, e.g firmware upgrade, Cccam ect. As mine has been delivered today. Would be very much appreciated :)

Also can the Skybox V3 only use 1 C-line at a time?

Hi Jay,
have a look at the tutorials on this site (under Openbox) they're quite good and should be able to answer your questions. If you have any more questions after that please feel free to ask.

(incidentally, there are some good tutorials on ******* if you do an Openbox/F3 search)

The Openbox variants can use up to 9 lines at a time. But only 1 for each Satlover server or you'll get banned! :eek:

umyk1
11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
The Openbox variants can use up to 9 lines at a time. But only 1 for each Satlover server or you'll get banned! :eek:

Sorry for a newb question, but what is the purpose of using more than one C line?

pan1300
11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Sorry for a newb question, but what is the purpose of using more than one C line?

hi

you can and may use more than 1 cline if they are from different servers!
* advantage: more can be open (different packages/channels of different servers) - no need to switch on and off (you can leave it)
* disadvantage: can be less stable due to 'interference' and 'searching' the best line (my impression: I mostly use 1 cline or max 2 clines at the same time -> always different servers!)
* about using more than 1 cline of the same server: this could help you when you don't know if the clines are good, so easiest way is to use more of them -> won't help you: you only need 1 good line + I want to repeat: not allowed here (forum rule with banning as result ...)!!

microchick
11-01-2012, 04:22 PM
If you are using few different servers then you can use more than one line and it will benifit you but many lines from only one server with the same port number is useless. It doesn't do you any good.

josht5
11-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I have upgraded mine to the latest firmware with YT and now all the satellites in the list are American ....
Anyone got a list for european satellites please ?

mahrkpat
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Go to King of Sats find the european satellites then manually add the position into the satellite list, you put the position in the sky its at like 19.2e and give it a name like Astra1 or go back to you previous firmware.

McrRed
11-17-2012, 01:03 PM
There are some euro lists on here somewhere (I can't remember exactly where)
Have a look for Openbox/Skybox/F3 bouquets/channel list (or ******).

If you're really stuck I can share mine but it's a bit individualised (for PL footy)

microchick
11-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Easy enough to add satellites to Openbox. No need for a satellite list. Just put enter the location and name of the satellite and do a blind scan. It will find all the channels. But if you want a personalised channel list then download some channel lists from the web.

wacky
02-01-2013, 02:28 AM
got the open box s10 then s11/// then s12// now f3 have also dm800s the dreambox 800s mutch better box but dubble the price. tried the m3 also but i think the f3 is a great box great picture wifi is good but not perfect can loose connection and can be slow to connect but dont be put off its a cheap good quality box HD very sharp ,BUT setting up channel list is not atall easy
i have done a channel list put on a usb and dump on to box .but cant seem to upload to this site

pH1Ts
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know whether the rebooting problems of the earlier openboxes has been rectified? I am looking to replace my S10 with something more reliable.

mahrkpat
02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know whether the rebooting problems of the earlier openboxes has been rectified? I am looking to replace my S10 with something more reliable.

The rebooting issue only affected a very minor number of F3's and the best
solution was to return and get another one a lot of people now have this box
and are using without any problems.

KVF1966
02-01-2013, 10:49 AM
The problem with rebooting satellite receiver Skybox F3 was solved at the programmatic level. You need to install the latest version of the software and the problems with the reboot will not.

Craig25
02-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Is the pvr facility easy to set up on the f3

mahrkpat
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Plug in usb stick or external hard drive then on the remote click menu and
select media icon to make sure stb recognises recording media.

zafsaq
02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
which is the latest firmware for f3 please

mahrkpat
02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
The latest firmware can be had at this link

__http://www.yojiatech.com/a/Support/Download/Skybox_F3/2013/0128/282.html

jonny2by4
02-10-2013, 10:59 PM
skybox f3 is a good easy to use box with good support and i read it supports ******* if iam not wrong.

cannydo
02-11-2013, 09:11 AM
It has ******* and You**** I think its best feature is its wireless dongle support. Homeplugs are about 40 but the dongle you'll get for 6 works perfect. Down side is if your using a dongle you can't use an external hardrive or usb stick.

terryashbyash
02-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I have mine wired via ethernet port, switched on box and hey presto all works(thank god), as for crashes I have latest firmware from skybox.cc manufacturers site and all is well except when using you ****/p**n so I just use mine as a satellite receiver.

Super HD performance and SD not bad and sensitive tuner great for fringe reception paired with inverto black ultra.

Craig25
02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Whats the diff between f3 and f5

kalpikos
02-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Whats the diff between f3 and f5

Hi mate

there basically quite similar,
the F5 is the newer model,and while the F3 has wifi and ethernet options to connect to the internet the F5 adds the extra option of using a sim card.

Also, the F5 has a scart socket as well as a HDMI socket, therefore supporting the older tv's that only have a scart input..., the F3 box only has a HDMI socket and also the power supply is built in on the F3, while the F5 has a external power supply.

Finaly, F5 has usb at the back.
There is currently more firmware available for the f3 than the f5.

terryashbyash
02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
It has ******* and You**** I think its best feature is its wireless dongle support. Homeplugs are about 40 but the dongle you'll get for 6 works perfect. Down side is if your using a dongle you can't use an external hardrive or usb stick.

In the network setup, if you use ethernet could leaving the wifi enabled as well cause conflicts even though I have not plugged in the dongle?:confused:

mahrkpat
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
There should be no conflict what problems are you encountering?

terryashbyash
02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
There should be no conflict what problems are you encountering?

Sometimes lots of freezing, especially at night so not sure if busy server or box might try to switch between ethernet and wireless. Sadly my knowledge of satellite boxes that connect to the internet started 3 weeks ago. Thanks for swift reply.

cannydo
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Switching between Ethernet and Wifi will not make any difference its your server. The reason its worse at night is this the time people finish work and switch their TV set on. In other words your server is overloaded I'm afraid.

clapesat
02-25-2013, 06:14 AM
cccam is already in the firmware or later must be installed?
thanks guys:)

KVF1966
02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi clapesat. cccam is installed as a plugin via the USB connector. When you install the firmware is only folder var.

clapesat
02-25-2013, 08:27 AM
then when I install the firmware cccam no there, I put it through usb, right?
Where can I find to put cccam?
thanks

cannydo
02-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi clapesat
Cccam is already installed but is hidden from view go to "Menu then Network" press "6666" and the cccam funtion will appear.

KVF1966
02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm a little bit wrong. Turn on your receiver, you get the menu(channels already from scanned), choose ""Network settings", take a deep 6666, item "Camds Setup", select "CCcam Plug installation,"Next "Configuration files", "CCcam.cfg", click the blue button "Add", Press the right, left into "Protocol".

clapesat
02-27-2013, 06:53 AM
i'm waitin I arrive the decoder,
can anyone recommend a program to use ftp with this decoder

cannydo
02-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Your best with the Tool made for the job Skybox F3 Lan Tool

clapesat
02-27-2013, 08:50 PM
I can not understand how to enter cline.
I have to do it by remote control?
thanks

kalpikos
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
I can not understand how to enter cline.
I have to do it by remote control?
thanks

Put the cccam.cfg file on the USB stick.
In the Network, CCcam settings, update by USB to load the cccam.cfg file off a usb stick, then manage cccam to activate the line, then reboot the box.

Also you can put a line from remote control but why?

clapesat
02-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Where can I find CCcam.cfg to put in the usb?

kalpikos
02-28-2013, 06:45 AM
You can create it.
Just open notepad and put yout line in and save it as CCcam.cfg exactly as that say... make sure it isnt cccam.cfg CCcam.cfg.cfg or CCcam.cfg.txt..
Format the usb to fat32.
Drap and drop the CCcam.cfg to your usb, plug it into your box and go to cccam update by usb and update it.

Failing the usb way, using remote control go to menu- cccam and manage cccam, press button to add and type the details in.

clapesat
02-28-2013, 03:25 PM
I did ok, thanks for your help.
the cccam was already in the firmware, should only be activated while the commissioning cline via USB but you can also write to the remote control.
Thanks for your patience:D

terryashbyash
03-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Is it possible to convert c line or n line for oscam with F3, I have a tool to convert but not sure if it works for F3, also is it allowed for c lines from satlover server 3?

mahrkpat
03-01-2013, 04:44 PM
n line to c line yes, c line to n line no.
Here is a link to a similar discussion:
http://www.satlover.eu/forum/newcamd/34413-convert-nline-to-cline.html

Curiositykilledthecat
03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
I have a Skybox F3 and it does an excellent job. From my experience the box does crash every so often (once every few days) not something that should put you off getting. The only thing that I don't like is the responsiveness to the remote but apparently that can be resolved by cutting a hole into the panel where the receiver is. All in all I highly recommend.

On a side note, can someone please tell me what the differences are between all the boxes available?

For instance what can a Dreambox do that a Skybox cant?

clapesat
03-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Between a skybox and a dreambox you can not make the comparison, it is like comparing a Ferrari with a bicycle.:p
First of all, the video quality, then the support it has about the dreambox as channel lists and firmware and much more.;)
But even the skybox does his job with dignity and then cost little compared to the dreambox.:)

ciao

jonny2by4
03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
it depends on what you want to do if you simply one to hook it up to a single dish like sly UK and simply load your c line via usb quick and easy then the skybox.
if not you want to add in plugins etc then the dreambox plus the support it has.

mahrkpat
03-29-2013, 06:38 PM
I have a Skybox F3 and it does an excellent job. From my experience the box does crash every so often (once every few days) not something that should put you off getting. The only thing that I don't like is the responsiveness to the remote but apparently that can be resolved by cutting a hole into the panel where the receiver is. All in all I highly recommend.

On a side note, can someone please tell me what the differences are between all the boxes available?

For instance what can a Dreambox do that a Skybox cant?

Your F3 crashes every few days, have you updated your firmware?

A openbox/skybox are what's called a closed box that is although it may use
linux it's firmware has been encrypted by the manufacturer so that nothing
can be added to it by anyone but the manufacturer.

A dreambox is a open box add ons and other improvements can be made by
the community resulting in a more flexible box not reliant on the manufacturer
for upgrades to features eg epg, streaming, cccam etc...

Jazamed
05-29-2013, 07:47 PM
is there much difference between the f3 and the m3 skybox?

kostis
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
is there much difference between the f3 and the m3 skybox?

not so much. it more in the appearance.

jarraz
10-28-2013, 06:32 PM
f3 have better power supply i think